This farm activity for preschoolers combines animals, tape, and (washable!) ink. My preschooler loves all 3 of these items, so we’ve played this game a lot. With a super easy set up and clean up, I don’t mind setting it up every day. And I really, really love the tea I’m drinking while I sit and watch him play!
Farm Activity Set Up
It’s a simple play idea. You’ll just need to grab a few items:
- masking tape (we used different colors)
- farm animal toys (we used ones from a Safari Ltd toob)
- washable ink pad
- optional: paper to spread underneath the tracks (it’ll catch any stray marks)
You don’t need different colored tape or ink for the activity. We had both on hand, so we used them. But plain masking tape works fine, too.
How to Play
Place long strips of tape in a row on a table. We started with 4 strips of tape, and had 2 kids doing the activity, and it worked out well.
Put a (washable!) ink pad near the strips, and get the animals out. Let your kids place the animals’ feet on the ink and then let them start making their animal foot prints!
- Let the kids “race” the animals.
- Move the animals in different directions – forwards, backwards, sideways.
- Use different color ink for different animals.
- Depending on the age of the children playing, the could design their own tracks. Help them cut the tape and let them make their own course for the farm animals.
- Depending on the type of animal toys you are using, you can compare the different footprints the animals made: cloven hoof vs paw vs a chicken’s foot (anyone know what they are called?).
More playful fine motor ideas
Build those finger muscles — and have some fun! — with these simple play ideas:
- Our I Spy eBook! – 60 games you can print and play, with lots of ideas to incorporate fine motor skills.
- Fine Motor Monsters – weave pipecleaners to create an adorable monster.
- Dinosaur Letter Stomp – a quick activity for prewriters (plus, it uses dinosaurs!)
- Create a Clothespin Flower – colorful game working those pinching fingers.
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
Farm CVC Words // A Dab of Glue Will Do
Farm Counting Cards // Playdough to Plato
Expressing Feelings on the Farm // Liz’s Early Learning Spot
Count and Graph on the Farm // Sara J Creations
Pigs in the Mud Alphabet Match // The Kindergarten Connection
Farm Animal Puzzles // Powerful Mothering
Play Dough Farm Activity // Mom Inspired Life
Farm Washing Sensory Bin // Coffee Cups and Crayons
Farm Counting Book // Recipe for Teaching
Interactive Farm Book // Mrs. Jones’ Creation Station
Gross Motor Farm Game // Modern Preschool
Farm Fence Number Ordering Mats // Fairy Poppins
Farm Letter Sound Matching Clip Cards // Schooling a Monkey
Making Farm Footprints // Pleasantest Thing
Farm Muffin Tin Syllable Counting Game // The Educators’ Spin on It
Farm Themed Old Maid // Stay at Home Educator
Farm Emergent Reader // The Letters of Literacy
Playful Farm Animals Hands on Math // Stir the Wonder
Farm Busy Box // Teach Me Mommy
Farm Animal Ten Frame Cards // Preschool Inspirations
Farm Addition Cards // The Stem Laboratory
Farm Animal Sentences // (Not Pictured) The Simplified Classroom
Old MacDonald’s Farm Busy Bag // (Not Pictured) Adventures of Adam