(affiliate links are used in this post)
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin is a great read aloud story, full of repetition. The repetition inspired this Pete the Cat activity, which is one of our favorite busy bags ever!
Four Groovy Buttons Busy Bag
Draw the outline of Pete’s shirt on the yellow craft foam sheet. It is pretty much entirely straight lines, so making a (fairly) recognizable copy of the shirt was not very hard.
Then draw the black lines to make it look more like a shirt. I outlined the entire shirt in black marker, and added cuffs and a collar with the marker. I drew a line down the center of the shirt. On that line, I put one end of the VELCRO dots. I put the corresponding velcro pieces on the back of the buttons.
Then we read the book, and popped buttons off, counted how many buttons were left, and said “Did Pete Cry? Goodness no!” a lot!
My kids also used this busy bag when I wasn’t reading the book to them. They can get very enthusiastic with their button popping, and pop the velcro off. It sticks right back on, however. When you are done playing, roll up the shirt and put it in a bag and keep it with your busy bags (or make this your first busy bag!). This bag keeps my kids happily occupied for a long time, so it is a great busy bag!
For More Pete The Cat Inspired Learning Activities from the Virtual Book Club:
- Pete the Cat Glyph from Playdough to Plato
- Learning with Buttons Pete the Cat from 3 Dinosaurs
- Pete the Cat Inspired Costume Cat Headband for Dress Up Play and Learning by The Educators’ Spin on It
- Free Printable Math Game Pete the Cat Inspired from Crystal and Co.
- Pete the Cat Shoe Activities for Literacy from Rainy Day Mum
- Pete the Cat Busy and His Four Groovy Buttons Craft from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Pete the Cat Activities: Beginning Sound Button Cover from Growing Book by Book
- Button Counting, Graphing, Sorting from Mama Miss
- Pete the Cat Button Activities from Inspiration Laboratories
- 3 Pete the Cat Activities from LalyMom
- Pete the Cat Movement Activity from Educators Spin on It
- Pete the Cat Inspired Reading and Gross Motor Game from Still Playing School
- Pete the Cat Crafts and Activities from Toddler Approved