Looking for a fun indoor play idea? Decorating play dough hearts is perfect leading up to Valentine’s Day — and really any time of year. Create your own play dough heart decorating kit – and use it over and over again. (At least until the play dough gets too yucky and needs to be replaced!)
Create Your Play Dough Heart Decorating Kit
- Play dough (either store bought or make your own). Different colors is always fun!
- Heart shaped cookie cutters (I like this set because there are several different sizes of hearts plus the plastic isn’t too sharp so my kids haven’t cut themselves)
- Just take a look around your craft supplies and grab what you have. This is what we used:
- Beads (any kind of craft bead – perler, round, heart shaped)
- Googly eyes (we like the colorful ones)
- Pipecleaners, cut in different lengths
- Resealable bag (to store it all in)
- Optional: little bags to keep the different types of decorations grouped together.
Playing with your play dough heart decorating kit
Grab all the items you need for your kit. Then pull it out whenever you need a quick activity to keep the kids entertained for a few minutes.
There’s tons of ways to play with this. Kids can use the cookie cutters to create different sized hearts. Then they decorate! Use the beads, eyes, ribbons to create their hearts.
My kids pretend the hearts are cookies they are decorating for a bake shop, we make heart creatures (googly eyes + pipe cleaner legs & antennae), they make Valentines and hand them out – there’s so many fun ways to play with this kit.
Once you’re done, put the play dough back in its container (if you made your own, put it back in a resealable bag), and gather all the decorating pieces. Put them all together into a bag, and put it away. Then you’re all set to grab it and play next time!
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
Play Dough Heart Decorating Kit // Simple Play Ideas
Valentines 10 Frame Counting Cards // Stay at Home Educator
Heart Lacing Busy Bag // Coffee Cups & Crayons
Heart Faces Busy Bag // Powerful Mothering
Counting Hearts Busy Bag // Teach Me Mommy
Name Recognition Alphabet Hearts // Modern Preschool