Do you love the way gingerbread smells? Give this gingerbread play dough a try — our recipe uses molasses and spices and smells amazing.
Playing with your gingerbread play dough
Once you have your dough (scroll down for the recipe), there are so many ways to play!
(affiliate links below)
Get out rolling pins and cookie cutters if you want to make some gingerbread patterns. This one is the best because you can sit down with your coffee and have the kids bring you yummy smelling super cute gingerbread play dough cookies over and over again. Seriously, guys, you’ll be able to sit down and just drink your coffee!
Dressing gingerbread people? Try:
- Adding fun buttons (we love these buttons, or try these ones for Christmas theme!)
- Grab some ribbons – put them as collars, sleeves, hats and bows!
- Add googly eyes! We also love the colored googly eyes
- You can even use stale candy to decorate it. If you use candy, just know that it will make your play dough a little stickier and the dough won’t last as long.
Gingerbread Play Dough Recipe
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 3/4 cup Cornstarch (cornflour)
- 4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Water
- 2 tbl Vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 2 Tbl + 2 tsp Flour
Mix the cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon, and allspice. Then add the water, oil, and molasses. Add 2 tablespoons of flour. Then keep adding flour 1/2 teaspoon at a time, mixing well after each addition, until your dough is no longer sticky.
This will make about a cup and a half of YUMMY smelling play dough!
Other Amazing Smelling Playdough
Awesome-smelling dough is awesome year-round. Try our other favorite scented dough (bonus — these three are NO BAKE, some are edible!)
You can see all our play dough recipes and activities here!
Get all our simple play ideas straight to your inbox by signing up for our free newsletter here.
More Play Dough Fun!
- Edible Pumpkin Pie Play Dough from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Fall Play Dough Fun from Craftulate
- Fine Motor Play Dough Activities from What Do We Do All Day?
- How to Make Crayon Play Dough from Sugar Aunts
- Beach Themed Microwave Play Dough from Teach Me Mommy
- Gingerbread Play Dough from FSPDT
- Fall Play Dough Mats from This Reading Mama
- No Cool Natural Cinnamon Play Dough from Natural Beach Living
- Play Dough Activities All Year Long from Little Bins for Little Hands