The first person two people I told I was pregnant were complete strangers. Not doctors or nurses, but two people I had never met and will likely never see again.
When I found out I was pregnant for the first time (now I have 3 kids!), I was home by myself. My husband wouldn’t be home for hours, and I didn’t want to tell him over the phone. But I also couldn’t just sit around not doing anything! So I went to a baby store, and bought a soccer rattle to give my husband when he got home. And while I was shopping I couldn’t help but tell the only other two people in the store. Because I knew they didn’t know me, or my husband, so it was kind of like not telling anyone…but it did give me someone to tell right away!
I asked some other moms who they told first. And it turns out that while most people told their husbands first, there were a couple of surprises!
- “My husband was the first person I told. I found out right before he was leaving for a run. I decided to let him go for his run, knowing he would be calmer if I told him when he got back. Of course, my parents were the very next people I told.” Jenny from The Jenny Evolution
- “My husband, followed by my Mom” Ticia from Adventures in Mummydom
- “My husband of course After that my mom. I didn’t even know what to do next…” Menucha from Moms and Crafters
- “My husband was the first to know with both, and after that my sister.” Christina from There’s Just One Mommy
- “I told my dog because my husband was traveling at the time and I didn’t want to tell anyone until I told him — so the dog and I were the ones jumping up and down on my bed when I first found out.” Jacquie from KC Edventures
- “My husband and he didn’t believe me because we just found out the day before our sister law was pregnant too!” Justine from The Typical Mom
- “The first person I told when I found out I was pregnant with my first baby was my husband. It was just before Christmas so I wrapped the pregnancy test up and put it under the Christmas tree. When my husband came home from work i told him that there was a special gift under the tree for him!” Louise from Messy Little Monster
- “My other half was there when I did the test, my parents were next to know. They had no idea. I had cards made with a poem in followed by congratulations you’re going to be Grandparents. I will never forget the looks on their faces! So special!” Amy from Learning and Exploring Through Play
- “My husband was the first person and then my sister.” Jennifer from A Dab of Glue Will Do
- “My partner. I was on my way to a second job interview and had this crazy notion to take a pregnancy test 30 min before. I got the job and the baby!” Helen from Arty Crafty Kids
- “My ten month old!! Ha! I said, “you’re going to be a brother!” for my first, my hubby. for my third, my mom.” Marnie from Carrots Are Orange
- “I don’t think I even really told my husband. I sort of found out while on a work trip in Colombia. I was gone for two weeks and knew I was supposed to get my period during that time…or not. I had brought two pregnancy tests with me and they both malfunctioned during that first week so I freaked out and bought another one (which is a story in itself because I had to tell the hotel concierge what I needed so the pharmacy could deliver it to the hotel). It worked, but the line was so faint that I wasn’t sure if it was a line or not. So I called my husband, and then my mom, in tears about how I couldn’t tell if there was a line (thanks hormones). Then I cried to my co-worker, who I was sharing a hotel room with. But I had pregnancy symptoms and still hadn’t gotten my period so I kept emailing my husband and telling him that I was pretty sure I was pregnant. So when I finally got home and took another test, it was like “yeah, we already knew this.”” Melissa – who posts here sometimes!
Clearblue has an adorable video (grab some tissues!) of loved ones reactions to the pregnancy reaction – check it out here!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.