Touch and feel ABC cards are great for both letter practice and pre-writing.
Tracing the letters with your fingers is a great way to practice letter formation. And (of course!), these textured letter cards are super easy to make. And once you’ve made a set, throw your cards in a bag to keep handy and pull out whenever you want to play with them.
(affiliate links included)
Use the glue (try our DIY colored glue!) to write one letter on each card. Then sprinkle the sand on the letters.
Let the cards dry (I left ours out for about an hour) and then shake them off to get rid of the extra sand.
Play with your Touch & Feel ABC Cards
These are great for pre-writers learning the basics of letter formation.
A few fun ideas to try:
- Give kids crayons and paper and let them do rubbings of the letter they pull.
- Trace the letters with their fingers.
- Reach into the bag with your eyes closed, grab a card, feel the letter and try to name it – all with your eyes closed!
- Pull out a card and find something in the room that starts with that letter.
- Set up several cards around the room and have them run to the letter you call out, trace it with their finger, and bring it back.
- Pull out 5 cards and put them in order.
- Have one person pull out a card without showing the other person. Then that person names words that start with that letter, until the second person guesses the letter.
- Spell out words with the letters.
- Pull out a card and then name words that start with the letter they pulled.
- For more of a challenge, try pulling out a card and thinking of a word that ends with the letter — this is very challenging, so a fun way to do it would be for you to name 3 words and they say which one ends with the letter on the card
Other Ways to Make The Cards
Other ideas for textured cards are:
- puffy or foam letter stickers
- make your own letters from tape or cut sandpaper
- draw letters onto cards using hot glue,
- buy pre-made tactile letters.
I am excited to add these other busy bags to our collection:
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
Free Alphabet Clip Cards // Playdough to Plato
Word Family Sort // Coffee Cups and Crayons
Printable Time Telling Game // Easy Peasy and Fun
Story Circles // Powerful Mothering
Magnetic Name Trace // Teach Me Mommy
Sight Word Memory Game // Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
Tactile Name Writing Practice // Preschool Inspirations
3D Shape Identification // Mommy Needs a Coffee Break
Touch and Feel ABC Cards // The Pleasantest Thing
Printable Dry Erase Morning Routine Busy Bag // Lalymom
Sequencing Mr. Men Shapes Busy Bag // Adventures of Adam
Alphabet Matching Puzzles // Itsy Bitsy Fun
Lowercase Letter Formation with Baked Cotton Balls // Sugar Aunts