I love festive and colorful wrapping paper. The Christmas wrapping paper I buy the kids usually features fun characters. As I was wrapping, it struck me that I could create story cards with the characters.
Wrapping paper scraps
Stiff card (I used index cards. You could use card stock, poster board, or old playing cards)
I cut images of single characters or scenes out of the wrapping paper, and glued them onto pieces of index cards.
I handed a stack of the cards to my almost 5 year old, and explained that we could tell stories based on the pictures. There are so many ways to play:
- We took turns closing our eyes and drawing cards, making up stories based on what we drew.
- He lined up the cards randomly and told a story from those cards.
- He selected cards and created a story from those cards.
- You could also play memory with the cards
- Toddlers can also just match up the cards.
It’s also a great way to use up some of the wrapping paper scraps on Christmas morning!